Schneider, Brannen Won Camel City Mile Titles
5th Camel City Elite indoor meet yielded fast times and awarded more than $40,000 in prize money and bonuses
From JDL Fast Track and BringBackTheMile.com
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – The 5th Camel City Elite at the JDL Fast Track indoor facility on Feb. 4 saw some outstanding performances led by 2016 Olympic 5000 silver medalist Paul Chelimo’s win and facility record 7:45.49 in the men’s 3000 meters presented by Salem Sports. Chelimo is the world indoor leader at 3000 meters and today’s time was another top 10 world mark. Two-time Canadian Olympian Melissa Bishop defended her women’s 800m title, clocking a world class 2:02.49, currently ranked 10th in the world, and Rachel Schneider won the women’s Mile in a personal record 4:28.03, the fastest time of the year on a regulation 200 meter track.
Other top performances on the 200m Mondo flat track were recorded in the following events:
• Women’s 3000m - Sara Sutherland won her first pro race in 9:00.35, while Allie Buchalski of Furman finished runner-up in an NCAA-leading 9:06.68 and Rachel Koonfrom North Carolina State was fourth in 9:09.99, #3 NCAA (conversion for a flat track).
• Men’s 800m presented by Total Sports US - Eliud Rutto of Middle Tennessee State just missed the facility record with his swift 1:48.94.
• Men’s Mile presented by Champion - Nate Brannen, a 3-time Canadian Olympian just missed a sub-4 performance outlasting Andy Bayer, 4:00.29 to 4:00.46.
The annual indoor meet, featuring one of the largest prize purses in the U.S. indoor track & field season, awarded more than $40,000 in prizes and bonuses in six events: men’s & women’s 800m, men’s & women’s Mile and men’s & women’s 3000m.
The Camel City Elite meet was packaged into an exciting 1 hour, 40 minute window and was also streamed live online by RunnerSpace.com.
5th Camel City Elite
Winston-Salem, NC, Saturday, Feb. 4, 2017
Women’s Camel City Mile
1) Rachel Schneider (Under Armour), 4:28.03, $4000
2) Cory McGee (New Balance), 4:30.03, $2000
3) Stephanie Garcia (New Balance), 4:32.41, $1000
4) Karisa Nelson (Samford), 4:38.27 (NCAA #3 rank by flat track conversion)
5) Erin Teschuk (ASICS Furman Elite), 4:39.59, $500
6) Katrina Coogan (New Balance), 4:41.94
7) Christy Cazzola (West Stride), 4:43.07
8) Kimberly Johansen (Elon), 4:45.34
9) Rachel Pocratsky (Virginia Tech), 4:45.38
10) Kathyrn Lazarchick (Wake Forest), 4:45.39
11) Ryen Frazier (NC State), 4:46.46
12) Nevada Mareno (unattached), 4:48.60
Men’s Camel City Mile presented by Champion
1) Nate Brannen (CAN / unattached), 4:00.29, $4000
2) Andy Bayer (Nike), 4:00.46, $2000
3) Neil Gourley (Virginia Tech), 4:01.14 (NCAA #4 rank by flat track conversion)
4) Vincent Ciattei (Virginia Tech), 4:06.23 (NCAA)
5) Chad Noelle (ASICS Furman Elite), 4:07.27, $1000
6) Leo Manzano (HOKA ONE ONE), 4:08.75, $500
7) Robert Heppenstall (Wake Forest), 4:08.87
8) Nick Morken (North Florida), 4:09.49
9) Simon Holden (Wake Forest), 4:11.95
For more on the Camel City Elite meet including complete results, go to: www.jdlfasttrack.com